BCS Professional Development Values
Relevance ⇔ Engagement ⇔ Choice ⇔ Follow-up
Four Pre-requisites for Effective Professional Learning
- Educators' commitment to students - ALL students!
- Educators must come to PD ready to learn.
- Educators must listen to one another, respect each other's experiences and perspectives, trust each other, and share a common vision and goals.
- Educators must recognize that educators, like all learners, learn in different ways and at different rates.
Standards for Professional Learning
Professional learning increases educator effectiveness and results for all students!
- Learning Communities: Occurs within learning communities committed to continuous improvement, collective responsibility and goal alignment.
- Leadership: Requires skillful leaders who develop capacity, advocate, and create support systems for professional learning.
- Resources: Requires prioritizing, monitoring and coordinating resources for educator learning.
- Data: Uses a variety of sources and types of student, educator, and system data to plan, assess and evaluate professional learning.
- Learning Designs: Integrates theories, research and models of human learning to achieve its intended outcomes.
- Implementation: Applies research on change and sustains support for implementation of professional learning for long-term change.
- Outcomes: Aligns its outcomes with educator performance and student curriculum standards.