HOW TO BECOME A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER FOR BRUNSWICK COUNTY SCHOOLS
Welcome! We appreciate your interest in substitute teaching for Brunswick County Schools. When the teacher is absent, it is imperative to have an effective substitute teacher in the classroom. Information concerning the process for being approved to substitute teach is outlined below.
Before applying, please be sure to CAREFULLY READ all information.
THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO QUALIFY:
- Hold a current or expired teaching license from any State
- Hold an Associate’s Degree or at least 48 semester hours of college credits
- Completion of an Effective Teacher Training Course
1. All applicants must completeour online application and upload a copy of their transcripts or teaching license (whichever is applicable). Applications will be considered incomplete without copies of transcripts and/or teaching license and will not be processed. Click here https://nc.teachermatch.org/jobsboard.do?districtId=569406650 to apply.
- Previous BCS Employees separated more than 1 year must complete the entire application package.
2. In order to ensure our substitutes are fully prepared for the classroom, Brunswick County Schools requires completion of Substitute Orientation and/or Effective Substitute Teacher Training and Orientation. For more information click here.
Fees for these courses are non-refundable—please ensure you select the correct course in accordance with the information on the “Paying for a Course” specifications. Completion of the Substitute Employment Orientation and/or Effective Substitute Teacher Training does not guarantee employment.
3. Once Steps 1 and 2 above have been successfully completed, please contact one of our schools to request an interview with a school administrator. You only need to interview with one school.
4. After a successful interview, the principal will submit a recommendation to Human Resources.
After the interview, please regularly check the email account that you put on your application as this is the email address where we will contact you.
5. Once Human Resources receives the recommendation from a school, you will be sent forms via email which must be completed electronically. If the background check is successful, additional forms will be emailed to you to complete the hiring process.
Once you are fully hired, the school you interviewed with will contact you with your BCS email address and information on how to complete virtual/remote substitute training.
*Note that the review and approval of each application will take several days. Once the above steps have been completed you will be approved by the Board of Education. You will not be officially hired until approved by the Board.
PAY RATES FOR SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
Daily rate for a substitute that holds a current or expired teaching
license from NC or any other state and Interns who hold a pending
completion letter. A person who had a provisional license that has
expired does not qualify.
Daily rate for a substitute that has completed the Effective Teacher
Training Program as evidenced by an “award of completion” and has been fully
hired by the Human Resources department.
The pay dates and associated time periods for Substitute teachers are documented on the “Traditional (10 & 11 Month) Payroll Schedule” (Click here to access it). Checks are direct deposited into your bank account.
All BCS substitutes will be required to take a refresher course every three years. The link for the refresher course will be sent out through our Substitute Employee Management System (Frontline/Aesop) to all active substitutes. You will be unable to continue substitute teaching the following year until the refresher course has been completed.
Still have questions about becoming a substitute teacher? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org