Please see the school list under Phase 1 below.
PHASE 1 CLASS section below has registration and process information
PHASE 2 ROAD section has updates and the BTW process
Full/part time positions available for class and/or behind the wheel.
Driver's Education Goals:
The goal of Driver Education is to provide each student driver a start in psychomotor skills and mental attitudes that are essential to becoming the most competent, skillful, responsible driver possible. This serves as a base for parents to continue the instruction and supervision of their young driver in developing the necessary knowledge, skill, and attitude needed to become a safe driver.
- Forms include detailed information on class options and registration process
- This is a course that consists of 30 hours of classwork and 6 hours behind-the-wheel training as required by North Carolina for those between the age of 14.5 through 17 to apply for a NC Learner Permit/License
To be Eligible for Brunswick County State Funded Driver Education You Must:
- Be a resident of Brunswick County.
- Be between the ages of 14.5 and 17 years of age.
- As a resident of Brunswick County, whether public, home school or private student may attend any class/school option that is available as long as they can be present at the start of the class and adhere to the schedule.
- Pay $65 as required by the NC General Assembly in HB 200. Process for payment of fee will be included on all registration forms. No cash or personal checks.
- Adhere to requirements as outlined on the registration form
- Agree to abide by the Code of Student Conduct as found in the Brunswick County Schools Student Handbook.
DRIVER ED CERTIFICATE
DRIVER EDUCATION CERTIFICATE: Upon completion of the BCS driver education program (class and driving, Phase 1&2), students receive a certificate from the in-car instructor. This does not expire. Each BCS certificate has a check list for the DMV appointment but we recommend contacting DMV for current info/changes.
Upon completion of class a private driving school can be hired for the 6 hours road time. The private school hired will provide all further information for the process including the mailing of form 611A to BCS for class approval. All NC licensed commercial schools are familiar with the state mandated process to complete the certificate process.
NC ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE
The driver education program DOES NOT ISSUE this form
DMV requires this certificate for proof of current grades and attendance. Please see the attachment below for more information. The driver education program does not have this certificate. This form has an expiration date. If your form has expired, return to the school/Department to re-issue a new certificate.
PHASE 1 CLASS
The following information is the current information on driver education class registration.
- BCS funded driver education is available to home school, private and public school students who are residents of Brunswick County.
- Other restrictions and state guidelines are listed toward the top of this page to confirm the student’s eligibility.
- Sign up/registration only takes place once a registration form is in print.
- The information below will communicate information for Phase 1 updates by School Area, Saturday options and summer registration.
- When forms are available, the registration link will be provided under the driver ed location (school name) below. A resident of Brunswick County can register for any class location if the student can attend the start time of class location and date.
NBHS: The class posted on 2/28/23 is full. The next registration update will be the summer classes. Please return to this page 5/9/23. Registration only takes place when the link is posted on this page. There are no waiting lists or additional information prior to the registration link postings.
WBHS: The class posted on 2/28/23 is full. The next registration update will be the summer classes. Please return to this page 5/9/23. Registration only takes place when the link is posted on this page. There are no waiting lists or additional information prior to the registration link postings.
SBHS:The class posted on 2/28/23 is full. The next registration update will be the summer classes. Please return to this page 5/9/23. Registration only takes place when the link is posted on this page. There are no waiting lists or additional information prior to the registration link postings.
COAST: Students at this school will need to take driver education at another location if the student can be present at the afternoon class start time or sign up for summer (see note below).
ECHS: ECHS second semester options are full. The next options available will be for summer. Summer information will be posted mid May.
SATURDAY OPTION: Saturday class options are available during the active school year, one per semester. This semester option is already in progress. Registration is no longer available.
SUMMER CLASSES: This registration information is available mid May. Sign up only takes place once the registration links are attached to this page. Multiple classes will be offered at North, South, and West .
PHASE 2 BEHIND THE WHEEL PROCESS AND SCHEDULE UPDATES
This shut down and shortage of NC Certified Instructors have created a back log to our normal efforts to service students in a timely manner.
- Road work requires completion of phase 1-class
- Requires a vision test by Bus and Traffic Safety. Representative visits each class to do test and sign form to continue with phase 2.
- Files are assigned by the oldest class date as we move forward. See update below, under BTW UPDATE.
- Per class, age is a consideration in booking/calling students, but not guaranteed that the process will work only by, “oldest to youngest” when scheduling the class.
- Instructors will call parent/guardian to discuss the Behind the Wheel appointment options. Instructors will call/leave messages and text if applicable.
- Continue to check this page for the BTW schedule updates as we move through the classes. Due to the number of students we are not able to give specific deadlines.
BTW UPDATES AS OF 1/27/23
- As of 3/12/23 first semester (2022) files have begun to be assigned. We have 150 files to process.
- If a student completed class in the summer of 2022 or before please follow instructions below in red
- Once files are assigned to instructors, variables in the appointment process vary. Students will not be booked in exact DOB order per class.
- Unfortunately we are not able to give a specific deadline of where your student will be called in that timeframe.
- Instructors will either text/call/leave messages as we work through the files.
- Only students who completed class BEFORE June 31, 2022 (who have not yet completed Phase 2 Road) should do the following:
Students who completed class in the summer of 2022 OR BEFORE Email email@example.com and in the subject write BTW question and include in the email these 5 points of information:
- Student’s name
- High school residence area (North, South or West)
- Driver education Class location
- Month and year completed
Please review the information posted above for Class registration, Behind the wheel process/updates, Vision tests and Program requirements. It is current and answers questions about the class and driving process.
- Call office number 910-575-5888
Registration Forms and Documents available at this time, see above for class updates: