Driver's Education Goals:
The goal of Driver Education is to provide each student driver a start in psychomotor skills and mental attitudes that are essential to becoming the most competent, skillful, responsible driver possible. This serves as a base for parents to continue the instruction and supervision of their young driver in developing the necessary knowledge, skill, and attitude needed to become a safe driver.
- Forms include detailed information on class options and registration process
- This is a course that consists of 30 hours of classwork and 6 hours behind-the-wheel training as required by North Carolina for those between the age of 14.5 through 17 to apply for a NC Learner Permit/License
To be Eligible for Brunswick County State Funded Driver Education You Must:
- Be a resident of Brunswick County.
- Be between the ages of 14.5 and 17 years of age.
- As a resident of Brunswick County, whether public, home school or private student may attend any class/school option that is available as long as they can be present at the start of the class and adhere to the schedule.
- Pay $65 as required by the NC General Assembly in HB 200. Process for payment of fee will be included on all registration forms. No cash or personal checks.
- Adhere to requirements as outlined on the registration form
- Agree to abide by the Code of Student Conduct as found in the Brunswick County Schools Student Handbook.
The following information is the current information on driver education class availability.
- Covid changed the dynamics of the state provided program. The driver education shut down has created a 6 months backlog for behind the wheel completion, once class time has been completed
- This shut down and shortage of NC Certified Instructors have created a back log to process students in a timely manner.
- Sign up/registration only takes place once a registration form is in print.
- BCS funded driver education is available to home school, private and public school students who are residents of Brunswick County.
- Other restrictions and state guidelines are listed toward the top of this page to confirm the student’s eligibility.
If the following classes are not an option at this time, please continue to check this web page. Due to the situations stated above we are unable to register in advance as the program did prior to covid. Additional instructors are in the certification process at this time but this will take time to process the state requirements.
SBHS: The October Class is full. Please check this page on October 20 for further updates. There are no dates in print at this time for SBHS. Registration only takes place when a form is in print and attached to the bottom of this page. See form below about a Saturday class and an online option.
NBHS: The October Class is full. Please check this page on October 20 for further updates. There are no dates in print at this time for NBHS. Registration only takes place when a form is in print and attached to the bottom of this page. See form below about a Saturday class and an online option.
WBHS: The October Class is full. Please check this page on October 20 for further updates. There are no dates in print at this time for WBHS. Registration only takes place when a form is in print and attached to the bottom of this page. See form below about a Saturday class and an online option.
COAST: Please see the form attached below that has two options: An in person Saturday class and an online option
Driver education options for Coast are Saturday classes(see Saturday class) or summer unless you can be at an after school class for the 2:50pm start time. No classes will be held at this school this semester.
ECHS: COAST: Please see the form attached below that has two options: An in person Saturday class and an online option
Driver education options for ECHS are Saturday classes(see Saturday class) or summer unless you can be at an after school class for the 2:50pm start time. No classes will be held at this school this semester.
SATURDAY CLASS: See attached form at the bottom of the page.
BEHIND THE WHEEL PROCESS
There were 200 students from the March 2020 shut down which created a 6 month driving back log to the program once we returned to the road late August 2020.
This shut down and shortage of NC Certified Instructors have created a back log to our normal efforts to service students in a timely manner.
- Oldest classes will be called first for students who completed the Bus & Traffic Safety vision test appointment. See Vision note below if you have NOT completed the vision test assigned during the class process.
- Per class, age is a consideration in booking/calling students, but not guaranteed that the process will work only by, “oldest to youngest” when scheduling the class.
- Instructors will call parent/guardian to discuss the Behind the Wheel appointment options. Instructors will call/leave messages and text if applicable.
- Continue to check this page for the BTW schedule updates as we move through the classes. Due to the number of students we are not able to give specific deadlines.
- As of 8/15 driving began for the 240 May/June students who attended the DMV vision test. This will take approximately 6 months under the current circumstances.
- Unfortunately we are not able to give a a specific deadline of where your student will be called in that timeframe.
- Instructors will either text/call/leave messages as we work through the files.
- We continue to advertise for employment. Local training also available.
- Due to the above employment note, BTW is moving very slowly.
- ONLY students who completed class in APRIL or BEFORE should do the following: Email email@example.com and in the subject write BTW question and include in the email these 5 points of information:
- Student’s name
- High school residence area (North, South or West)
- Class Month
- Yes (include month DMV vision test taken) or No -have not taken DMV vision test
Please do the following if your student completed class and did not attend an appointment
Students cannot do the behind the wheel until Bus and Traffic Safety completes this test and signs the form.
During class your Student received a detailed letter addressing this required test and appointment time to pass on to the parent. If your student has completed class and has missed their assigned vision test appointment, please do the following:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line write: Need vision test
- Include in the email these 4 points: 1. student name, 2. DOB, 3. class completion month 4. Your School area of residence, NBHS, SBHS or WBHS (These are the locations of vision test dates)
Please review the information posted above for Class registration, Behind the wheel process/updates, Vision tests and Program requirements. It is current and answers questions about the class and driving process.
- Call office number 910-575-5888
Registration Forms and Documents available at this time, see above for class updates: