Data Requests, Research & Public Information
Thank you for your interest in learning more about Brunswick County Schools!
How may we assist you?
- Do you need specific data, such as student assessment data, for grant writing or data analysis purposes?
If yes, please refer to the "Data Request" process below.
- Would you like to conduct research in Brunswick County Schools for a university project, thesis, dissertation or publication?
If yes, please refer to the "Research Request" process below.
- Would you like to make a public information request for directory information or public records?
If yes, please refer to the "Public Information Request" process below.
- Do you need a copy of a high school transcript?
If yes, please contact the school of last attendance or our receptionist at (910) 253-2900.
Data Request Process
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and portions of North Carolina G.S. 115C protect the privacy of student educational records. The BCS Assessment Department reviews all requests for student assessment data. Student assessment data will only be shared in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Secure data will only be shared with NCDPI colleagues or other professional representatives associated with the data.
- Secure data are the property of NCDPI. Usage of secure data are for the purposes of testing and accountability only.
- All copies of data must be kept secure.
- Secure data can only be transferred using secure methods (i.e., FTP, hand delivery, parcel delivery service).
Note: Released State and Local assessment data can be found on the NCDPI testing website
The BCS Request for Data Form is available for download (BCSDataRequestForm.pdf). Open and complete the .pdf document. Send completed form to Amanda Richardson via email: email@example.com, fax: 910-253-2962, postal service: 35 Referendum Drive, Bolivia NC 28422, or electronically by sending as an email attachment.
You will be notified about the status of your request; allow 5 business days for processing. Most requests can be processed and completed within four weeks.
Thank you for your interest in conducting research in Brunswick County Schools. We will be happy to review your research proposal to determine if it aligns with our local policies.
To begin the process, submit a written proposal via email or postal service and include/attach the following information:
- First & Last Name and email address of principal investigator seeking permission to conduct research.
- IRB approval letter (or IRB status, if approval has not been granted).
- Copies of all questionnaires, surveys, data collection instruments, etc.
- Detailed description of data collection methods including time involvement required of any/all participants.
- Any other relevant information.
- Send to Amanda Richardson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 35 Referendum Drive, Bolivia NC 28422
After the committee reviews this information, you will be notified by email with our decision. Most requests can be processed and reviewed in four weeks. Larger, more detailed proposals may take longer.
Please note, if the proposal is approved, it only constitutess permission to invite principals, staff members, and/or students to participate in the research project as outlined in your research application. This approval does not imply official departmental endorsement of any aspect of a research project or support for the general and /or commercial use of an intervention or curriculum program, software program or other enterprise being developed or evaluated as part of your research. We suggest the following guidelines be adhered to:
- You need to obtain consent from the relevant Principals before your research project can commence (if applicable).
- Principals, staff members and/or students have the right to decline participation if they consider that the research will cause undue disruption to educational programs in their schools.
- Principals have the right to monitor any research activities conducted in their facilities and can withdraw their support at any time.
- We ask that any part of the study involving students, staff members, and/or parents be concluded prior to May of the current school year.
Public Information Requests
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, requires that Brunswick County Schools, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your child's education records. However, Brunswick County Schools may disclose appropriately designated "directory information" without written consent, unless you have notified your child's principal in writing.
Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations, including media outlets without a parent's prior written consent. In addition, two Federal laws require local educational agencies (LEAs) receiving assistance under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) to provide military recruiters, upon request, with the following information - names, addresses, and telephone listings - unless parents have advised the LEA that they do not want their student's information disclosed without their prior written consent.
If you need additional information, please visit the BCS Communications website.