Driver's Education Goals:
The goal of Driver Education is to provide each student driver a start in psychomotor skills and mental attitudes that are essential to becoming the most competent, skillful, responsible driver possible. This serves as a base for parents to continue the instruction and supervision of their young driver in developing the necessary knowledge, skill, and attitude needed to become a safe driver.
- Forms include detailed information on class options and registration process
- This is a course that consists of 30 hours of classwork and 6 hours behind-the-wheel training as required by North Carolina for those between the age of 14.5 through 17 to apply for a NC Learner Permit/License
To be Eligible for Brunswick County State Funded Driver Education You Must:
- Be a resident of Brunswick County.
- Be between the ages of 14.5 and 17 years of age.
- As a resident of Brunswick County, whether public, home school or private student may attend any class/school option that is available as long as they can be present at the start of the class and adhere to the schedule.
- Pay $65 as required by the NC General Assembly in HB 200. Process for payment of fee will be included on all registration forms. No cash or personal checks.
- Adhere to requirements as outlined on the registration form
- Agree to abide by the Code of Student Conduct as found in the Brunswick County Schools Student Handbook.
WE ARE NOW TRANSITIONING TO OUR NEW SCHOOL YEAR SCHEDULE. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING FOR CLASS INFORMATION.
The following information is the current information on driver education class availability.
- Covid changed the dynamics of the state provided program. The driver education shut down has created a 6 months backlog for behind the wheel completion, once class time has been completed
- This shut down and shortage of NC Certified Instructors have created a back log to process students in a timely manner.
- Please check this page on 8/15 as there are no dates available at this time.
- Sign up/registration only takes place once a registration form is in print.
- BCS funded driver education is available to home school, private and public school students who are residents of Brunswick County.
- Other restrictions and state guidelines are listed toward the top of this page to confirm the student’s eligibility.
BEHIND THE WHEEL PROCESS
There were 200 students from the March 2020 shut down which created a 6 month driving back log to the program once we returned to the road late August 2020.
This shut down and shortage of NC Certified Instructors have created a back log to our normal efforts to service students in a timely manner.
- Oldest classes will be called first for students who completed the Bus & Traffic Safety vision test appointment.
- Per class, age is a consideration in booking/calling students, but not guaranteed that the process will work only by, “oldest to youngest” when scheduling the class.
- Instructors will call parent/guardian to discuss the Behind the Wheel appointment options
- Continue to check this page for the BTW schedule updates as we move through the classes
- As of 8/15, the 200 students who attended the 6/21 vision test start the driving process. Process and backlog in above note.
- As of August several potential instructors will begin the certification process. It will take several months to complete this online state mandated process.
- We continue to advertise for employment. Local training also available.
- Due to the above employment note, BTW is moving very slowly.
- If a student completed their class by April 2021 and has not been called to drive, email email@example.com , in the subject write BTW question and include these 5 points of information: student’s name, 2. High school residence area (North, South or West), 3.DOB, 4. Class Month 5. yes or no, if student attended our vision test with Bus and Traffic Safety
Students cannot do the behind the wheel until Bus and Traffic Safety completes this test and signs the form.
During class the Students receive a letter addressing this required test and appointment time. If your student has completed class and has missed their assigned vision test appointment, please do the following:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line write: Need vision test
- Include in the email: 1. student name, 2. DOB, 3. class completion month
Please review the information posted above. It is current and answers questions about the class and driving process.
CLASS REGISTRATION/VISION TEST/MAKE UP INFORMATION
- Call office number 910-575-5888
ALL OTHER QUESTIONS/CONCERNS : MOLLY KING
- Call office number 910-575-5888
Registration Forms and Documents available at this time, see above for class updates: