PHASE 1 CLASS section below has registration and process information
PHASE 2 ROAD section has updates and the BTW process
Driver's Education Goals:
The goal of Driver Education is to provide each student driver a start in psychomotor skills and mental attitudes that are essential to becoming the most competent, skillful, responsible driver possible. This serves as a base for parents to continue the instruction and supervision of their young driver in developing the necessary knowledge, skill, and attitude needed to become a safe driver.
- Forms include detailed information on class options and registration process
- This is a course that consists of 30 hours of classwork and 6 hours behind-the-wheel training as required by North Carolina for those between the age of 14.5 through 17 to apply for a NC Learner Permit/License
To be Eligible for Brunswick County State Funded Driver Education You Must:
- Be a resident of Brunswick County.
- Be between the ages of 14.5 and 17 years of age.
- As a resident of Brunswick County, whether public, home school or private student may attend any class/school option that is available as long as they can be present at the start of the class and adhere to the schedule.
- Pay $65 as required by the NC General Assembly in HB 200. Process for payment of fee will be included on all registration forms. No cash or personal checks.
- Adhere to requirements as outlined on the registration form
- Agree to abide by the Code of Student Conduct as found in the Brunswick County Schools Student Handbook.
DRIVER ED CERTIFICATE
DRIVER EDUCATION CERTIFICATE: Upon completion of the BCS driver education program (class and driving, Phase 1&2), students receive a certificate from the in-car instructor. This does not expire. Each BCS certificate has a check list for the DMV appointment but we recommend contacting DMV for current info/changes.
NC ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE
The driver education program DOES NOT ISSUE this form
DMV requires this certificate for proof of current grades and attendance. Please see the attachment below for more information. The driver education program does not have this certificate. This form has an expiration date. If your form has expired, return to the school/Department to re-issue a new certificate.
PHASE 1 CLASS
The following information is the current information on driver education class registration.
- Please check this page December 10th for second semester registration updates. Dates are not in print at this time.
- BCS funded driver education is available to home school, private and public school students who are residents of Brunswick County.
- Other restrictions and state guidelines are listed toward the top of this page to confirm the student’s eligibility.
- Sign up/registration only takes place once a registration form is in print.
- When forms are available they will be attached at the bottom of this page.
NBHS: Updates will be posted December 10th about the second semester classes.
WBHS: Updates will be posted December 10th about the second semester classes.
SBHS: Updates will be posted December 10th about the second semester classes.
COAST: Updates will be posted December 10th about the second semester classes.
ECHS: Updates will be posted December 10th about the second semester classes.
SATURDAY OPTION: Please check December 10th classes about the second semester classes.
SUMMER CLASSES: This registration information is available mid May.
PHASE 2 BEHIND THE WHEEL PROCESS AND SCHEDULE UPDATES
This shut down and shortage of NC Certified Instructors have created a back log to our normal efforts to service students in a timely manner.
- Road work requires completion of phase 1-class
- Requires a vision test by Bus and Traffic Safety. Representative visits each class to do test and sign form to continue with phase 2.
- Oldest classes will be called first for students who completed the Bus & Traffic Safety vision test. See Vision note below if you have NOT completed the vision test assigned during the class process.
- Per class, age is a consideration in booking/calling students, but not guaranteed that the process will work only by, “oldest to youngest” when scheduling the class.
- Instructors will call parent/guardian to discuss the Behind the Wheel appointment options. Instructors will call/leave messages and text if applicable.
- Continue to check this page for the BTW schedule updates as we move through the classes. Due to the number of students we are not able to give specific deadlines.
- Update as of 10/30/22
- Mid-September the June classes (240 students) were pulled for BTW. The 2004 – 2006 DOB’s have been assigned to drivers. These students will be called between now and the end of December.
- Upon completion of the above birth dates the 2007 dates will be assigned. These should have a call by 1/31/2023.
- Unfortunately we are not able to give a specific deadline of where your student will be called in that timeframe.
- Instructors will either text/call/leave messages as we work through the files.
- Only the Students who completed class May 2022 or BEFORE who have not been called, should do the following:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject write BTW question and include in the email these 5 points of information:
- Student’s name
- High school residence area (North, South or West)
- Driver education Class location
- Month and year completed
Please review the information posted above for Class registration, Behind the wheel process/updates, Vision tests and Program requirements. It is current and answers questions about the class and driving process.
- Call office number 910-575-5888
Registration Forms and Documents available at this time, see above for class updates: