5 Things to Know: September 23rd to 27th
At the end of each week, we'll post 5 notes of interest that you might of missed or were mentioned in the Friday phone call. You can sign up for the weekly phone call on Fridays by calling 855-502-7867.
Here is The Friday Five for the week of September 23-27:
- UNION NAMED NATIONAL BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL: A round of applause for Union Elementary staff, students, parents and community members!!! They are 1 of only 2 National Blue Ribbon Schools in North Carolina for 2019. Click HERE for more details including pictures and video. You want to see the video. Trust us. Details. Pictures. Video.
- BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING: On Tuesday, October 1, 2019, the BCS Board of Education will hold their monthly meeting after a budget work session. The Brunswick County Board of Education will meet in a Budget Work Session on Tuesday, October 1st prior to the regular board meeting. The meeting will begin at 4:00 p.m. and will be held in the 2nd floor training room of the Brunswick County Administration Building located at 30 Government Center Drive, Bolivia, North Carolina. The regular board meeting will be held following the budget work session. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the County Commissioners’ Chambers at the David R. Sandifer County Administration Building, Bolivia, North Carolina. You can find the draft BOE Agenda by clicking HERE. We will Live stream the BOE meeting via this link: https://livestream.com/brunswickcountyschools
- STUDENT FLU VACCINATIONS: Brunswick County Schools in conjunction with Brunswick County Health Services will offer flu vaccinations during the month of October. This opportunity is available to all students. The vaccines will be given by Health Services nurses to students who have signed permission forms. Dates and locations along with downloadable permission slips can be found by clicking HERE.
- IN THE NEWS: Did you see our students in the news? Here are the links to their spotlights:
⇒ Brunswick County Magazine featured the Marching Scorps trip to DC: https://lifeinbrunswickcounty.com/north-brunswick-high-school-band/⇒ StarNews featured an amazing reader as the Student of the Week: https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20190924/adrian-small-is-brunswick-county-schools-student-of-week
⇒ WECT TV featured the Scorps football team and their ability to overcome challenge: https://www.wect.com/2019/09/25/north-brunswick-not-letting-injuries-change-team-goals/
⇒ WECT TV featured Union's Blue Ribbon announcement: https://www.wect.com/2019/09/26/union-elementary-recognized-with-national-blue-ribbon-honor/
⇒ StarNews featured Union's Blue Ribbon announcement: https://www.starnewsonline.com/photogallery/NC/20190926/NEWS/926009985/PH/1
- I FIRED BEN DOING: Throughout the year we'll be taking a peek at some of our employees who demonstrate the spirit of the #IFiredBenDoing movement. Click HERE to see the video of Mrs. Harrelson, a Child Nutrition team member who can be found on the front lines in a time of disaster.
- BONUS VIDEO: The North Brunswick High School JROTC Cadets have a new mission this year. Click HERE for the video.
- BONUS EVENT: Students and parents are invited to a College/Post High School Information Forum on Monday. Click HERE for details.
DON'T FORGET: Breakfast and Lunch is now be free of charge to all students at all schools. Find more details on how this is possible by clicking here.
Make sure to follow us on Facebook and check back next Friday for "The Friday Five"!