5 Things to Know: September 30th-October 4th
At the end of each week, we'll post 5 notes of interest that you might of missed or were mentioned in the Friday phone call. You can sign up for the weekly phone call on Fridays by calling 855-502-7867.
Here is the Friday Five for the week of September 30-October 4th:
- DANGERS OF VAPING: There will be a Family Forum in the cafeteria at South Brunswick High School on Monday, October 14th at 6:15 PM about the “Dangers of Vaping and how it is affecting our children, our schools, and our community.” There will be local speakers providing information about the health, dental, legal, educational, and parental concerns related to this teen epidemic. We are encouraging parents and students from all Brunswick County high schools and middle schools to attend this forum.
- WHO: All BCS students and parents
- WHAT: "Dangers of Vaping Forum: How it is affecting our children, our schools and our community."
- WHEN: Monday, October 14th at 6:15pm
- WHERE: South Brunswick High School's Cafeteria
- BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING: Miss the October Board of Education Meeting? Click HERE to watch it via YouTube link. The monthly committee meetings will take place at Central Services, 35 Referendum Drive in Bolivia, October 22nd starting at 2pm.
- REDISTRICTING MEETING: Cropper GIS/McKibben, the consultants hired for help with redistricting, will facilitate a public information session on October 22nd, 6pm at North Brunswick High School, which will provide an overview of the Phase 1 project objectives, process and timeline. The consultants will also detail the online survey component for the community to take part in. This event will be Livestreamed. NBHS is located at 114 Scorpion Drive Leland, NC 28451. All updates can be found at www.bcswan.net/redistricting.
- IN THE NEWS: Did you see our students in the news? Here are the links to their spotlights:
⇒ The Golf Channel/NBC Sports featured the inspirational story of survival for SBHS twins: https://www.golfchannel.com/video/pure-insurance-championship-2019-boldt-brothers-inspire
⇒ StarNews featured a talented musician as the Student of the Week: https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20191001/madeline-overman-is-brunswick-county-schools-student-of-week
⇒ StarNews also named not one, but TWO BCS Students their Athletes of the Week: https://www.starnewsonline.com/sports/20191002/athletes-of-week-north-brunswick-west-brunswick-honored
⇒ WECT let the community know about our upcoming "Dangers of Vaping" Family Forum: https://www.wect.com/2019/10/02/brunswick-county-schools-hold-forum-about-dangers-vaping/
- I FIRED BEN DOING: Throughout the year we'll be taking a peek at some of our employees who demonstrate the spirit of the #IFiredBenDoing movement. Click HERE to see the video of Ms. Cannon and Ms. Dixon, Assistant Principals who put the W-I-N in WIN Time to get students the lil' push they need.
BONUS EVENT: Brunswick County Fall Festival! Each year, thousands come out and enjoy a SAFE alternative to Halloween. Once again there will be a cake 🍰 walk, hot dogs🌭, candy🍭🍬, haunted trail, hay rides, kid’s games and of course, costume contests! Best of all, the event is FREE!!!🍂
🎃The event will be held on October 24th at the Brunswick County Government complex on Old Ocean Hwy in Bolivia, from 6pm - 9pm
DON'T FORGET: Breakfast and Lunch is now be free of charge to all students at all schools. Find more details on how this is possible by clicking here.
Make sure to follow us on Facebook and check back next Friday for "The Friday Five"!