5 Things to Know: January 6-10
At the end of each week, we'll post 5 notes of interest that you might have missed from the past week or were mentioned in the Friday phone call. You can sign up for the weekly phone call on Fridays by calling 855-502-7867.
Here is the Friday Five for the week of January 6th-10th:
- REDISTRICTING UPDATE: Board Members are currently considering all drafts and feedback and expect to make a decision on new district lines at a special meeting held at Central Services, 35 Referendum Drive, Bolivia, at 6pm on January 14th, 2020. The public is invited to attend.
- BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING: If you'd like to watch the 1/7/2020 Board of Education Meeting, click HERE to view it via the BCS YouTube page. You can watch all BOE meetings in real time via https://livestream.com/brunswickcountyschools
- SPEAKING OF: It is National School Board Appreciation Month and we truly appreciate the continuous work by our board members, Ellen Milligan(Chairman), Ed Lemon(Vice Chair), Catherine Cooke, Charlie Miller, and Gerald Benton. You can find more information about our Board Members and the role of the Board of Education by clicking HERE.
- IN THE NEWS: Did you see our students in the local media this week? Tosha Pittman was the StarNews Student of the Week. Austin Winchester was featured by WECT News for his accomplishments in the water. And the lenghy accomplishments of Superintendent Dr. Jerry L. Oates were in the spotlight in a special feature, Living out the Lifetime Goal, by North Brunswick Magazine.
- COMMUNITY EVENT: Brunswick County Schools will be closed on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. (January 20th) The Annual MLK 2 Day Celebration is planned and will feature a Brunswick County Student. Sunday, January 19th is the Memorial March at 3pm that begins at 3pm in front of the Southport Fire Department. A program will be held at the fire department following the march with Master of Ceremony Jaxon Francis, a student athlete at South Brunswick High School. On Monday, January 20th, the 26th Annual Round Table Breakfast will take place at 8am in Murrow Hall at Trinity United Methodist Church in Downtown Southport.
Make sure to follow us on Facebook and check back on each Friday in 2020 for "The Friday Five"!