5 Things to Know: February 3-7
At the end of each week, we'll post 5 notes of interest that you might have missed from the past week or were mentioned in the Friday phone call. You can sign up for the weekly phone call on Fridays by calling 855-502-7867.
Here is the Friday Five for the week of February 3rd-7th
- WATER FILLING STATIONS: The concern over water quality in Brunswick County continues to be a conversation as we look for solutions to filtering out PFAS in drinking water. As Brunswick County Commissioners continue support in reaching a long term solution for all residents of the county, Brunswick County Schools Board Chair Ellen Milligan has been in talks with each individual board member and all have agreed to pursue the addition of a reverse osmosis water bottle filling station at each school. Superintendent Dr. Oates has been instructed to look into the process of getting these stations installed at each location.
This process includes what options are available, where they would be installed inside each school, and other aspects of the project. Initial funding of the RO water bottle filling installations will be provided by Brunswick County Schools.
- ENCORE EDUCATION: We are starting a new monthly webinar series called "Encore Education" and it begins Tuesday, February 11th. You can watch via BCS livestream online and ask questions in real time about the episode's subject as we feature various topics important to students, parents, staff and the community. The first episode is February 11th at 6pm and the topic is Social Media Dangers. We'll be joined by the Sheriff's Office to answer YOUR questions. Submit questions in advance to Acacia Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org or via social media when this link goes live at 6pm: https://livestream.com/brunswickcountyschools/EncoreEducationEpisode1
- I FIRED BEN DOING: A Lincoln Elementary Educator is giving a boost of ABCs to the Ks. Click HERE to watch this week's #IFiredBenDoing video feature!
- SPOTLIGHT ON TALENT: The countdown is underway to the showcase of some of our most talented students in the district. It's the 'BCS Spotlight on Talent Show' and takes place February 13th, 7pm, Odell Williamson Auditorium. Admission is free but non-perishable food items are being collected to donate to local food pantries.
- IN THE NEWS: “The challenges are there everyday and she handles it beautifully.” Shallotte Middle School's Joey Bullock is named the WWAY TV Teacher of the Week! 👏👏👏 Find out the connection between weightlifting and her students in this special feature on her amazing talents inside the classroom by clicking HERE! Sae’vyon McCray, a West Brunswick wrestling superstar, is named Athlete of the Week. Click HERE to read all about him. And Ruby Clark is the StarNews Student of the Week. Click HERE to read all about her.
Make sure to follow us on Facebook and check back next Friday for "The Friday Five"!