NEED TO TALK? Student Support Services is here for you
BCS Student Support Services has numerous resources to help students and parents during this challenging time we are all going through. Behavior Specialists, School Counselors, School Nurses, School Psychologist, School Social Workers, and Dropout Prevention Specialists are all available to talk with to support the social-emotional learning and mental health needs during this unprecedented time. Please CLICK HERE for the Student Support Services main page on the district website.
Student Support Services - We’re still here!
- Behavior Specialists - email is the most efficient communication due to varied work sites
- School Counselors - email is the most efficient communication due to varied work sites
- School Nurses - email is the most efficient communication due to varied work sites
- School Psychologists - email is the most efficient communication due to varied work sites
- School Social Workers - email or call
- Dropout Prevention Specialists - email or call
Tele-counseling is the use of an online platform to facilitate counseling services. We will be using Google Hangouts, Zoom, and Google Classroom to be available for students.
- Professionalism: As always, we will follow professional and ethical guidelines in our counseling services as outlined by local policy and national practices.
- Confidentiality: If participating in a counseling-type meeting, please find a quiet, private area with minimal distractions. This helps us protect the confidentiality of the conversation. Please understand that we will do our best to protect your privacy, but we are only able to control our side of the interaction.
- Crisis/Emergency Needs: The virtual counseling hours should be used for non-crisis check-in and counseling needs. Should you or your child experience a mental health crisis please contact any of the following:
- Mobile Crisis, Integrated Family Services Crisis Line: 1-866-437-1821
- RHA Behavioral Health Crisis Management Services: 1-844-709-4097
- Coastal Horizons Center, Inc. - Crisis Line: 1-800-672-2903
- Coastal Horizons Center, Inc - Clinica Latina: 910-769-1201
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Crisis Line: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
*Local Mental Health Provider Lists are posted at the bottom of the page for non-crisis counseling services. Please remember that Brunswick County Schools is not recommending one provider over another. This is a resource list of local agencies and the services provided by the agency. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to determine which agency best meets your child’s treatment needs and insurance/payment coverage.
Parent Resources for Social Emotional Learning
- The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), CASEL.org - SEL Resources During COVID-19
- Conscious Discipline, consciousdiscipline.com - COVID-19: Five Helpful Responses for Families
- Conscious Discipline, consciousdiscipline.com - April 6th Update (updated resources, webinars, articles, and printables for home)
- Move This World, movethisworld.com - SEL Resource Library for Educators and Families
- NC Department of Public Instruction, ncdpi.nc.gov - COVID-19 Response & Resources
- Sanford Harmony - Harmony at Home, SEL Toolkit for Educators and Parents
- UNCTV, unctv.org - At-Home Learning (more core content specific)
- WhyTry.org - The Parent Guide to Resilience