ATHLETICS UPDATE: Getting Ready for Sports
8/18/2020: During the August Committee Meetings, Assistant Superintendent Darrell Cheers presented school board members an update of BCS High School Athletics.
- Click HERE to view the presentation.
- The presentation also included an update on Middle School Athletics. The MS Calendar would have Winter Sports Nov-Jan, Fall Sports Jan-Mar, and Spring Sports Mar-May. Specific schedules for middle school sports are still being put together.
Projected Voluntary Workout Schedules 2020-2021:
(All schedules are assuming that there are no changes in guidance from state officials regarding COVID-19)
August 24: (*Phase 2 Guidelines but with no inside access with the exception of inclement weather or other emergencies)
- Football: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (These workouts would end 9/15)
- Cheer: 2-3 days per week (Official Tryout Date: November 4)
- Dance: 2-3 days per week (Official Tryout Date: November 4)
September 22: (*Voluntary workouts starting September 22 may workout up to 5 days a week abiding by current guidelines in place at that time (Phase 2 ,3, etc.)
- Cross Country
- Mens Golf
- Womens Golf
- Mens Basketball
- Womens Basketball
- Mens Soccer
- Mens Lacrosse
- Womens Lacrosse
- Mens Tennis
- Womens Tennis
- Womens Soccer
Please contact your child's coach for more information specific to your child's sport and times/dates of voluntary workouts.
*Students would not be allowed to participate in multiple voluntary workouts that are occurring simultaneously to avoid cross contamination (example, an athlete will not be allowed to go to swim and volleyball workouts)
*Voluntary workouts starting September 22 may workout up to 5 days a week abiding by current guidelines in place at that time (Phase 2 ,3, etc.)
8/12/2020: On 8/12/2020, the North Carolina High School Athletic Association announced the amended 2020-21 NCHSAA Sports Calendar.
8/06/2020: Voluntary Conditioning Workouts for Brunswick County Schools Athletics will begin the week of August 3rd, 2020. The summer workouts are optional and are not required to participate in Fall sports. Certified athletic trainers will be on location along with all NCHSAA safety protocols now in place, which include daily health screenings, small group activity, and proper disinfecting. If you have any questions, please contact the athletic director at your child's school.
On 8/06/2020, the NCHSAA Commissioner released the following statement:
"At his press conference on Wednesday, August 5, 2020, Governor Roy Cooper and his health team extended Phase Two of the state's reopening plan until at least September 11. Unfortunately, this announcement means that the start of sports for the 2020-2021 school year will be delayed beyond September 1 for NCHSAA member schools.
The NCHSAA Staff and Board of Directors will review all available options, seek input from SMAC, DPI, a sports Ad Hoc Committee, and announce a calendar for playing sports during the upcoming school year. It is hoped that we can make this announcement prior to August 17, 2020.
We want to play sports during the upcoming school year and are making plans to do so; however, the health and safety of all participants, including coaches and other essential staff, will be a priority as decisions and plans are made."
On 7/16/2020, the NCHSAA Board of Directors approved the following rule and calendar changes:
- The start of NCHSAA fall sports is delayed until at least September 1.
- The first five (5) student days of the 2020-2021 school year will be designated as a “dead period” for ALL sports, allowing school staff to focus on the start of school.
- NCHSAA Phase One of the summer conditioning and workouts will continue until further notice. NCHSAA Phase Two will begin August 3rd.
Athletic Directors along with school and district administrators have been using this time to obtain the necessary protective supplies and train coaches on new protocols in order to keep student athletics and staff safe as we adapt to the challenges of COVID19.
- You can read the updated North Carolina High School Athletic Association's guidelines by clicking HERE.
Some of plans that will be put in place include daily health screenings, disinfecting, informational signage throughout the schools, limited gatherings, and other safety related protocols to ensure proper social distancing and best practices for all participants.
Participation in Summer activities/workouts is NOT required for student athletes. Any changes to athletics will be communicated immediately to the community and our student-athletes.